"As the first marketer at Retool, your primary responsibility is to increase awareness of Retool. You’ll generate strategies and creatives for testing new channels (e.g. paid acquisition), as well as invest more in working ones (e.g. word of mouth, content marketing, etc.).
Over the next 3 - 6 months, we expect marketing itself to be a team of 3 - 5 people. (Right now it’s 0.) Ideally, you’d roll up your sleeves in the first few months (generating strategies + creatives, and testing channels), but be equally interested and capable in building and growing a team to continue investing in what’s working.
You should be interested in building a marketing team that really scales. We’re at a few million dollars in revenue today, and anticipate that growing substantially in the next 12 months.
Ideally, you’ve seen a similar revenue growth at a previous SaaS startup: from $1M => $5M in revenue one year, and then $5M => $20M revenue the next year. Your job will be to generate the top of funnel required to sustain that kind of growth, and it would help a lot if you’ve seen a similar trajectory before.
Over the next 18 months, you will:
- Define and manage a customer acquisition strategy. It’ll probably include content marketing, as well as SEO and SEM.
- Set brand direction. Develop clear positioning, value proposition and messaging, driven by qualitative and quantitative data.
- Build out a content marketing program that is generally interesting to our target market (developers), but also effective at attracting new customers.
- Craft the messaging and ensure the design out of our website and marketing materials speak to developers.
- Invest, consistently and constantly, in refining our target personas (today, developers).
- Recruit, hire and nurture top marketing talent.
Ideally, you have:
- Significant experience marketing products towards developers.
- Experience creating compelling content, targeted towards developers, that generate leads in the short-term (e.g. generating awareness), as well as the long-term (e.g. evergreen content that ranks on Google).
- Helped define a successful brand.
- Contributed to defining product-market-fit at a rapidly growing startup.
- Worked together cross-functionally, with design, product, engineering, and sales, driving towards a common goal.