By Ben Tossell
When I started Makerpad I never thought it'd be where it is today. A little side project that turned into the hub for everything no-code (although I still dislike the term 😉). I'm learning lots of things along the way, like; creating my own systems to get stuff done, finding exercise you like doing (tennis), you don't have to respond to all emails and DM's, it's ok to be a maker that has to do some 'manager' tasks.
I'm forever grateful to the growing community for all your support, our investors for enabling me to do this full-time and my team, for taking the leap with me, producing phenomenal content and being the reason Makerpad is what it is today.
This year I postponed getting married, got a puppy and had my fair share of up and down days. We've got to just keep going.
Here's some of what we accomplished:
- Total Members: 4,943 (should hit 5k by 31st December)
- +363% growth in members from 2019 → 2020
- 14,948 newsletter subscribers
- 278 tutorials in total
- 500+ projects launched by the community
- Makerpad fund launched with investments such as; Supabase, Stacker and Causal
- Community Program pilot
What to expect next year:
- Build Club. 14 day cohorts of building projects, alongside others. First cohort kicks-off Jan 4th
- Community improvement. We've got a couple of projects underway that we think will be super exciting for engaging the community in a new and meaningful way.
- Content. We're planning more Tool-Paths so let us know any suggestions you have here
- Some secret stuff 🤫
A few things we've learnt along the way
- People like being guided. So we built educational content around business use-cases (e.g. How Morning Brew do sales) and Tool-paths (e.g. Build a membership community). This allows people to follow tutorials sequentially around a specific goal
- Concise content. Videos need to be easy to consume and quick to inspire
- Videos aren't just educational. They're often used as inspiration. Many people have watched a tutorial only to go off-piste almost immediately. This is what I used to do too—"this is how you can do X" becomes "Oh cool, I'm going to tweak that to the thing I want to do which is slightly different"
- Challenges engage the community, but there are parameters to consider. 30-day challenges can work if they are broader or have big prizes and judges. Everyday challenges lose steam fairly quickly. This is why we're testing Build Club. 14-day rolling cohorts building projects alongside others
Below you'll find a collection of our top pieces of content from 2020; Tool Paths, Deep-Dives, Tutorials, Challenges, Workshops, Blog Posts and Podcasts.
We'll put together a 2020: Community in review shortly to show off some of the most amazing things our community has built - there's just so many!
Released in December our tool-paths have recently been launched and are available to everyone! They are sequences of step-by-step tutorial videos, tool-paths guide you through projects from start to finish.
The first 3 paths are:
Our Deep-Dives are an in-depth exploration into the processes of an interesting business, individual or organization. We then break down how you could re-create that process using the latest no-code tools.
🌊 Automating an Investment Fund's Form to Contract Process (Deep-Dive)
🐬 The Community Creator - How to run a low-cost membership community (Deep-Dive)
⛵ Cottage Deep Dive: How to manage, track, and automate complex projects (Deep-Dive)
💧 No-code solutions let Stark focus on content creation (Deep-Dive)
🐋 Makerpad builds Community Building no-code solutions for 1 Second Everyday (Deep-Dive)
🏊 Rebuilding Morning Brew's sales process with no-code solutions (Deep-Dive)
📺 Top 10 Tutorials
Makerpad has over 250 written & video tutorials, here are our most popular ones!
🐧 Cameo clone in Glide - video shout-out site (Tutorial)
🌲 Selling digital products with Gumroad with Notion & Super (Tutorial)
🧣 Airbnb clone with bubble (Tutorial)
🦌 How to build a basic membership site with Carrd (Tutorial)
🕊️ Build a subscription platform like Patreon (Tutorial)
🕯️ Creating a membership website on Webflow (Tutorial)
🧨 A Meetup clone built-in Adalo (Tutorial)
❄️ Job Board in Webflow (Tutorial)
⭐ Build an Airtable powered mobile app with Adalo (Tutorial)
🎁 Creating a marketplace app on Bubble (Tutorial)
We regularly have challenges to test your no-code skills! Here are just a few of our Challenges that have taken place this year!
🏅 Advent of No-Code (View Entries)
🏵️ Bubble Challenge (The Results)
🪙 Community Challenge (The Results)
🚀 T30 Challenge (The Results)
📆 Workshop Replays
Our weekly workshops with experts are recorded & the replays can be watched later! Here are some of our most recent workshops.
Our blog posts cover our partner announcements, podcast episodes and articles too! Here are some of our recent posts:
Our weekly podcast talks to founders and makers within the no-code community. Here are our top 5 most listened to episodes!